Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Hey, at least we can take comfort from the words of the Orlando shooter’s father

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes. I do find it rather odd listening to people talk about how this bloke was someone who had made a 'radical interpretation of his faith' when in fact he's just someone who has followed the instructions clearly laid out in the Qur'an.

It is also quite amusing watching the liberal media jump with desperate relief on the gun laws issue as a means of avoiding or at least downplaying the whole 'he was a raving muslamic nutjob' aspect of the matter.
    Ah, but you see, there's the complication of the issue. Many right wing people clearly have no problem with the fate meted out to the gays. The Texas lieutenant government tweeted, 'reap what you sow,' before taking it down again.

On the one hand, they call for arming all peoples. On the other, it's not desirable to arm the gays, who should be mowed down like sheep. It's a bit of a pickle actually.

Yes, but since he is explicitly following the instructions laid out by his religion in his actions, he could quite easily have justified his actions as holy and therefore not only not in contravention of Ramadan, but actively in keeping with it.
    Good God, man! The old and new testaments are full of killin'. Smiting this, whacking that. Actually they don't say 'whack.' That was me.

Yeah, but that comparative argument with Christianity doesn't really wash, since Christianity is based on the New Testament and the teachings of Christ, which explicitly preclude the killing of anyone and are profoundly non-violent. The theology is pretty clear: Christ's teachings and sacrifice represent a new covenant between God and man that overwrites the Old Testament - which I agree is pretty ****ed up in parts. However, the Old Testament is simply not fundamental to Christian faith - whatever the more extreme protestant fundamentalists may pretend - and therefore can offer no meaningful justification for any violent actions by a Christian.

Islam, by contrast, takes all of the Qur'an as the explicit word of God as expressed to his prophet - contradictions and all. Ultimately, Christ's teachings are explicitly and consistently non-violent, while those of Muhammed are not. Pointing to the Old Testament and suggesting that Christians are no better than Muslims in respect of the violence of their doctrine is simply not valid, I'm afraid.
    You're incorrect. The new testament is not an overlay of the old testament, redacting large portions of the OT. It is an interpretation of the old testament, an attempt to inscribe the older messages within new teaching. This is how it was understood in the high points of Christianity's growth: as in, for example, the high middle ages. Those same periods did a ****-ton of crusading.

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post
    Ah, but you see, there's the complication of the issue. Many right wing people clearly have no problem with the fate meted out to the gays. The Texas lieutenant government tweeted, 'reap what you sow,' before taking it down again.

On the one hand, they call for arming all peoples. On the other, it's not desirable to arm the gays, who should be mowed down like sheep. It's a bit of a pickle actually.
    Actually, EGA, the guy regularly sends out Bible verse tweets on an automated schedule every Sunday morning. This one happened to be an unfortunate coincidence. Nice job extrapolating that into "ALL" right wingers hate gays and want them dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Arrowhead View Post
    Actually, EGA, the guy regularly sends out Bible verse tweets on an automated schedule every Sunday morning. This one happened to be an unfortunate coincidence. Nice job extrapolating that into "ALL" right wingers hate gays and want them dead.
    Why thank you. Just playin' man, you know that.

I would like to see the shooter, his father, his wife and his son all executed.

Seems a bit harsh, imo
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

I don't think the Bible touches at all on killing bufties, unless maybe it is Old Testament.

Yes. I do find it rather odd listening to people talk about how this bloke was someone who had made a 'radical interpretation of his faith' when in fact he's just someone who has followed the instructions clearly laid out in the Qur'an.

It is also quite amusing watching the liberal media jump with desperate relief on the gun laws issue as a means of avoiding or at least downplaying the whole 'he was a raving muslamic nutjob' aspect of the matter.

Or, perhaps it has absolutely nothing to do with his or any other religion!
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman