Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If we don't sign a top striker, will poor Olly end up being the scapegoat every time

Hmmmm..... I'd argue that a hatful of number 10s without a quality number 9 to finish it all off is like an incomplete jigsaw, somewhat puzzling!
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Give it to me

I might struggle to score 20+ goals a season, especially being in my 40s. I could use the money though.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Oh, I know what you mean. We've been blessed with the quality of the football since we started playing tika taka.

But last year we had one striker and 6 No.10s (Ozzy, Santi, Jack, Rambo, Alexis and TR7.)

Don't you think a 2/5 split of those seven players would have been better?

Though we still come back to the same problem that there aren't any to buy.

Is this all down to the change from 4-4-2 to a lone striker? The fact that top teams could have 3 top drawer strikers while now they mostly have one?

I just hope our fans are as understanding as you next year, and don't blame Olly. Or even better, that Olly has his best ever season like RVP did when he came back from injury and scored 30 in that calender year.

fyi all six no. 10s were injured last campaign. However, apart from that, we should get on giroud. He's a clown with his fourteen game scoring drought. I mean, seriously. Get a clue. Messi is disappointed if he only scores two per game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    we drop points and he doesn't score?

That would damage his confidence even more.

We need more goals. I just feel that it could be really horrible next year if we don't buy a top right winger and a striker. Esp with Jose at Man Utd.

If the crowd get on the team's back again, it could be another vile season.
    It's more the other way around anyway. Your striker is *supposed* to be the scapegoat, that's his job. Thing is, you hope he scores enough to avoid that particular slur or jibe.

Either he is good enough for what you think you need or he isn't. Spending alot of money on one doesn't guarantee anything, naturally, but it *does* mean the chap has absolutely no place to hide; if he's the real deal, the high pricetag won't matter to him one bit.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I do see your point and appreciate it - but you are talking to the wrong man. Red will love it. Personally, I don't think you can have enough No 10s
    I love #10s too. So long as they score 300 goals
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Need, in any case, a real goal-scoring number 10. when sanchez went off the boil we were seriously lacking. A lampard type who will reliably give you 20 goals.

we drop points and he doesn't score?

That would damage his confidence even more.

We need more goals. I just feel that it could be really horrible next year if we don't buy a top right winger and a striker. Esp with Jose at Man Utd.

If the crowd get on the team's back again, it could be another vile season.
    Bless him, apparently scored a blinder last night and then misses a 1 on 1.....very Olivier.

The 3 strikers I'd go for are Benzema, Higuain or Lukaku......I know I've said before that I'm not sure about Lukaku but I certainly think he has potential and in a better side that's in CL then he'll only improve

I did like the lad that came on for Atletico, Carrasco

Giroud hit a nice goal last night for France, but he ain't the be all and end all, time to put to use that wage salary Arsene and scouts but not on 7 goal Morata