Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If we don't sign a top striker, will poor Olly end up being the scapegoat every time

If we don't sign a top striker, will poor Olly end up being the scapegoat every time

we drop points and he doesn't score?

That would damage his confidence even more.

We need more goals. I just feel that it could be really horrible next year if we don't buy a top right winger and a striker. Esp with Jose at Man Utd.

If the crowd get on the team's back again, it could be another vile season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    we drop points and he doesn't score?

That would damage his confidence even more.

We need more goals. I just feel that it could be really horrible next year if we don't buy a top right winger and a striker. Esp with Jose at Man Utd.

If the crowd get on the team's back again, it could be another vile season.
    Who are the top strikers you seek, GG? You keep mentioning a top striker but no names mentioned

We have more than enough players who can play "right wing" if such a position exists in our team as well

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Who are the top strikers you seek, GG? You keep mentioning a top striker but no names mentioned

We have more than enough players who can play "right wing" if such a position exists in our team as well
    I know I'm think and don't get football, LA, but I'm not that thick.

I'm not saying we should buy Messi.

I'm saying that we aren't linked with any top strikers cos there aren't any out there, and this will cause us problems next year.

If that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    I know I'm think and don't get football, LA, but I'm not that thick.

I'm not saying we should buy Messi.

I'm saying that we aren't linked with any top strikers cos there aren't any out there, and this will cause us problems next year.

If that makes sense.
    No offense meant, sir. And yes I agree with that point, gg and it does make sense - that's the problem. We almost have to get lucky to get that last piece of the jigsaw

No offense meant, sir. And yes I agree with that point, gg and it does make sense - that's the problem. We almost have to get lucky to get that last piece of the jigsaw
    Or just throw 70 or 80 million quid at it, we haven't tried that method yet.

And I ****ing *hate* jigsaws
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Oh, none taken, obviously LA.

I think part of my point is that we haven't played a long enough game.

I mean, we used to collect strikers. Having Bergy and Anelka and buying Kanu. Or having Titi and Bergy and Skiltord and JAR and buying a young RVP.

Yet since we switched to 4-3-3 playing just one striker, he's collected lots of little No.10s and not bothered with the strikers as he can only play one, where he can play 4 or 5 no.10s.

So last year we had Ozil, Santi, Jack, Rambo and TR7, but we only had Olly and two players (Feo and Welbz) who could also play wide.

I think this is my point.

When we used to play 2 up front, we could have 3 world class strikers.

Since we only play 1, he only has one and cover who can also play wide.

So if that one isn't good enough or gets injured, we are in ****.

Do you agree about not collecting enough strikers while over collecting no.10s?

And do you think that the change to a lone striker has had any bearing on this?

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Or just throw 70 or 80 million quid at it, we haven't tried that method yet.

And I ****ing *hate* jigsaws
    I think the point is that there's no-one to throw money at.

I would like to know if FLC would have taken £55mil for Suarez or RM the same for Higuain.

If so, we missed a trick there.

There are less strikers now everyone plays just a lone front man. So you really have to pay top dollar if one becomes available.

My post was less about buying someone as I haven't seen us linked with anyone any good.

It's whether the fans will blame Olly for AW not having found a top replacement. And what that will do to his confidence, esp with Welbz out all season, and Feo proved to be ****.

I like Olly, but I fear the fans will blame him every time we drop points and he doesn't score. Which will **** his confidence.

Oh, none taken, obviously LA.

I think part of my point is that we haven't played a long enough game.

I mean, we used to collect strikers. Having Bergy and Anelka and buying Kanu. Or having Titi and Bergy and Skiltord and JAR and buying a young RVP.

Yet since we switched to 4-3-3 playing just one striker, he's collected lots of little No.10s and not bothered with the strikers as he can only play one, where he can play 4 or 5 no.10s.

So last year we had Ozil, Santi, Jack, Rambo and TR7, but we only had Olly and two players (Feo and Welbz) who could also play wide.

I think this is my point.

When we used to play 2 up front, we could have 3 world class strikers.

Since we only play 1, he only has one and cover who can also play wide.

So if that one isn't good enough or gets injured, we are in ****.

Do you agree about not collecting enough strikers while over collecting no.10s?

And do you think that the change to a lone striker has had any bearing on this?
    I do see your point and appreciate it - but you are talking to the wrong man. Red will love it. Personally, I don't think you can have enough No 10s

I do see your point and appreciate it - but you are talking to the wrong man. Red will love it. Personally, I don't think you can have enough No 10s
    Oh, I know what you mean. We've been blessed with the quality of the football since we started playing tika taka.

But last year we had one striker and 6 No.10s (Ozzy, Santi, Jack, Rambo, Alexis and TR7.)

Don't you think a 2/5 split of those seven players would have been better?

Though we still come back to the same problem that there aren't any to buy.

Is this all down to the change from 4-4-2 to a lone striker? The fact that top teams could have 3 top drawer strikers while now they mostly have one?

I just hope our fans are as understanding as you next year, and don't blame Olly. Or even better, that Olly has his best ever season like RVP did when he came back from injury and scored 30 in that calender year.

I think the point is that there's no-one to throw money at.

I would like to know if FLC would have taken £55mil for Suarez or RM the same for Higuain.

If so, we missed a trick there.

There are less strikers now everyone plays just a lone front man. So you really have to pay top dollar if one becomes available.

My post was less about buying someone as I haven't seen us linked with anyone any good.

It's whether the fans will blame Olly for AW not having found a top replacement. And what that will do to his confidence, esp with Welbz out all season, and Feo proved to be ****.

I like Olly, but I fear the fans will blame him every time we drop points and he doesn't score. Which will **** his confidence.
    You can't fool me, I'm a married man; there's *always* something to throw money at!
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."