Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: There are people to whom I am connected on Facebook (yes, I know...)

The Jorge
    Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Are you not proud to be an Arsenal supporter? Same difference, imo.
    Answered above via kismet

Quote Originally Posted by The Jorge View Post
    But do you only get that in *your* place then? I get that in Yorkshire, in Andalucia and in Florence. I get it when I think of the North Bank but I dont get it anywhere else in London, I dont get it when I see a union jack or hear the anthem, quite the opposite in those cases.
    There are all sorts of things that you don't 'get', because you're a professional contrarian, a full-time hipster and a soulless communist

Jorge, Why did you opt for an Irish passport if being patriotic doesn't mean anything to you?

But do you only get that in *your* place then? I get that in Yorkshire, in Andalucia and in Florence. I get it when I think of the North Bank but I dont get it anywhere else in London, I dont get it when I see a union jack or hear the anthem, quite the opposite in those cases.
    That merely speaks to me of a certain narrowness of mind, though - certainly not of its opposite. You are talking about small places rather than about the larger ideas of which they are a part.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Aw, shucks. Sorry Sir C let the side down with 'maison de council', though.
    It is a common construction in, erm, the Languedoc. Yes, the Languedoc.

Answered above via kismet
    Yes, that's right; your place is "you". And if "you" can choose then so can everybody else surely.

What is there not to get?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Norn Iron View Post
    Jorge, Why did you opt for an Irish passport if being patriotic doesn't mean anything to you?
    Because it's a way of showing how unpatriotic he is - which is, of course, a tacit acknowledgement of just how large and significant the idea of England and Britain loom in his mind. But never mind, eh? Therein lies the inherent contradiction of the dyed-in-the-wool self-loathing British lefty.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    That merely speaks to me of a certain narrowness of mind, though - certainly not of its opposite. You are talking about small places rather than about the larger ideas of which they are a part.
    And what does "Andalucia" mean? Magaluf?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    You're not helping your argument by quoting some dead bloke who was neither funny nor wise.
    George Carlin was indeed not particularly interesting. His whole black t-shirt thing was depressing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It is spiritually-rooted and entirely visceral, an emotion rather than a choice, an unquantifiable connection to place, to earth, to people and their deeds. It is like love, or religion or any other inexplicable need which springs from the soul and defines us as human.

That's how deep it is.
    Or, as it is written:

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord
    He is tramping out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored.

:tearing up:

Have some of that, you filthy blue-painted scallywags