Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: There are people to whom I am connected on Facebook (yes, I know...)

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Oui, mais je crains que nous sommes proches des limites de mon français. Nous devons donc cesser.
    Well, I think you've both done very well.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

The Jorge
    Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Answer that yourself; have you not previously stated your "pride" in your Irish roots?
    I think that's perhaps one area where he does agree with George Carlin

Answer that yourself; have you not previously stated your "pride" in your Irish roots?
    That's different, r. Patriotism's only bad if you're British or American.

Well, I think you've both done very well.
    Aw, shucks. Sorry Sir C let the side down with 'maison de council', though.

Flatviewing scum!

Me, not you

Quote Originally Posted by The Jorge View Post
    I think that's perhaps one area where he does agree with George Carlin
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Why is patriotism so deep though? As I say, it just seems arbitary to me.
    It is spiritually-rooted and entirely visceral, an emotion rather than a choice, an unquantifiable connection to place, to earth, to people and their deeds. It is like love, or religion or any other inexplicable need which springs from the soul and defines us as human.

That's how deep it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It is spiritually-rooted and entirely visceral, an emotion rather than a choice, an unquantifiable connection to place, to earth, to people and their deeds. It is like love, or religion or any other inexplicable need which springs from the soul and defines us as human.

That's how deep it is.
    I say, that's rather good.

Why is patriotism so deep though? As I say, it just seems arbitary to me.
    Are you not proud to be an Arsenal supporter? Same difference, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I say, that's rather good.
    ty b.

I'm spent now.

The Jorge
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

That's how deep it is.
    But do you only get that in *your* place then? I get that in Yorkshire, in Andalucia and in Florence. I get it when I think of the North Bank but I dont get it anywhere else in London, I dont get it when I see a union jack or hear the anthem, quite the opposite in those cases.