Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Joe Root is the best English batsman in modern history. Discuss.

Joe Root is the best English batsman in modern history. Discuss.

Also surely the best batsman in the world in all forms. Sure, Kholi has the shots but can he do it on a cold, overcast afternoon in Durham?

No Richard I'm not going to discuss it. I'm going down the pub instead so with all due respect, up yours!
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Also surely the best batsman in the world in all forms. Sure, Kholi has the shots but can he do it on a cold, overcast afternoon in Durham?
    You know we're only playing Sri Lanka, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    He absolutely oozes class. His defence is robust, his strokeplay magnificent. A smart little fielder and I've seen worse spinners bowl for England. Seems a thoroughly likeable chap too (albeit a Yorkshireman).

Wd JR imo.

Also, a little bit early in his career

He is indeed a fine player though and across all forms.......although I'm sure T20 will seek to ruin him somehow

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    He absolutely oozes class. His defence is robust, his strokeplay magnificent. A smart little fielder and I've seen worse spinners bowl for England. Seems a thoroughly likeable chap too (albeit a Yorkshireman).

Wd JR imo.
    Oh, I think he's very good with the potential to be great, but your assessment is rather premature and slightly bizarre given that - as I say - he's currently batting against one of the weakest attacks in world cricket.

Oh, I think he's very good with the potential to be great, but your assessment is rather premature and slightly bizarre given that - as I say - he's currently batting against one of the weakest attacks in world cricket.
    Well I was just watching him and everything he seems to do seems so effortless compared to his teammates. He looks as though he has all the time in the world. I grant you that this is a a limited attack, but he doesn't seem to find any attack in the world too much bother.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Also, a little bit early in his career

He is indeed a fine player though and across all forms.......although I'm sure T20 will seek to ruin him somehow
    I've decided that T20 is actually alright. I followed the latter stages of the recent world cup thing, and after accepting it as just an alternative discipline of the game, began to appreciate its special qualities.

It must eventually make all players "better".
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Rich ****ing jinxed Hales as well the ****