Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Last week I had the best opening line ever from a street God botherer

Also, isn't being an Atheist, as opposed to an agnostic, showing a fundamental faith in a tenet of your own personal philosophy? The sort of things people slag off Allans for?

I mean, as you can't disprove the existence of God, if you say you're certain, then surely you're saying "I can't prove it but I know it must be true as that's what all my tribe tell me and I think they're right."

What I would ask the atheists is why they reckon so many different cultures that use psychedelics all believe it can unlock different planes of consciousness on which one can commune with the Divine?

Why do Saddhus and druids and acid-heads all get munted and talk to God?

I would have thought that it bothers God more that I don't believe in him or her. If we do create him or her in our o own image then that person would be a bit pissed
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

The Jorge
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Doesn't seem that long ago you were arguing in favour of agnosticism. Or have you gone a bit agnostic on the agnosticism?
    No, I fount agnosticism through committed atheism. You cant believe there isnt a god for very long before analysing it to the point that there might be.

The Jorge
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Also, isn't being an Atheist, as opposed to an agnostic, showing a fundamental faith in a tenet of your own personal philosophy? The sort of things people slag off Allans for?

I mean, as you can't disprove the existence of God, if you say you're certain, then surely you're saying "I can't prove it but I know it must be true as that's what all my tribe tell me and I think they're right."

What I would ask the atheists is why they reckon so many different cultures that use psychedelics all believe it can unlock different planes of consciousness on which one can commune with the Divine?

Why do Saddhus and druids and acid-heads all get munted and talk to God?
    Yes, exactly that.

Though I do think mankind has a passionate, burning desire to athropomorphise everything ever and that is the single biggest reason for the phenomenon. And bare in mind I've done plenty of psychedelic adventuring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    I converted a Jehovah's Witness to Vedism during a 7 min wait on Angel tube station's platform.
    Bit of a claim to make, though. My experience of the devout is that their faith is fairly impervious to questioning, and having no immediate response is hardly a conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jorge View Post
    Yes, exactly that.

, burning desire to athropomorphise everything ever
    But it's not anthropomorphic if you're dealing with a non-human hyperintelligence of pure love that is the holistic sum of all particles and thoughts and feelings that ever were are and will be. {And that's barely scratching Its surface, imo.}

Yes, you can see him as an old white man with a beard, but once you go beyond that, a multidimensional hyperintelligence of pure love the size of all spacetime and more can't be described as anthropomorphism.

{And remember that just because you didn't see something on psychedelics doesn't mean that those who claim to have are wrong. You can go on a safari and not see a lion every time you go. Doesn't mean they don't exist, that those who saw lions are misguided.}

The Jorge
    But it's not anthropomorphic if you're dealing with a non-human hyperintelligence of pure love that is the holistic sum of all particles and thoughts and feelings that ever were are and will be. {And that's barely scratching Its surface, imo.}

Yes, you can see him as an old white man with a beard, but once you go beyond that, a multidimensional hyperintelligence of pure love the size of all spacetime and more can't be described as anthropomorphism.

{And remember that just because you didn't see something on psychedelics doesn't mean that those who claim to have are wrong. You can go on a safari and not see a lion every time you go. Doesn't mean they don't exist, that those who saw lions are misguided.}
    I'm not claiming I'm right here, I think this is worth stressing. I'm immensely jealous of those people who have faith, any faith. It must be a wonderful thing to have. In my mind though, the beauty in the sublime is just chaos, just some countless iteration that got it right. Here, now. That's incredibly beautiful in itself. I just cant attribute it to any being, whether it be an old white dude with a beard or a herd of wild cows stampeding across the plains.

Though, it has to be said, I saw plenty of things in the depths of peyote binges, some of which claimed to be god. So you could well be right.

Though, it has to be said, I saw plenty of things in the depths of peyote binges, some of which claimed to be god.
    They may have been lying.

I've had experiences with psychedelics that I thought at the time could be metaphysical, but I subsequently believed to be .... just psychedelic. I thought I saw Margeret Thatcher's face in a tile, but it didn't mean she was really there.

Anyway, as far as we know, love is anthropomorphic anyway.

No, I fount agnosticism through committed atheism. You cant believe there isnt a god for very long before analysing it to the point that there might be.
    I can.