Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arsene on good form this morning. Well said, imo.

Arsene on good form this morning. Well said, imo.

"Some people question this team's character but they have character and attitude and some people who question them have less character than this team has."
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    "Some people question this team's character but they have character and attitude and some people who question them have less character than this team has."
    What sort of character are we talking here? Lads with great banter?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    What sort of character are we talking here? Lads with great banter?
    Yeah, He uses the term quite often, doesn't He. I think He means it takes alot of "character" to continue to play *our* way no matter what happens.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Sure. But some of the people questioning the team ar not being paid in excess of £100,000 a week to win games against inferior teams which they are not doing. Whether they have character or not is irrelevant. What I want is results.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    Sure. But some of the people questioning the team ar not being paid in excess of £100,000 a week to win games against inferior teams which they are not doing. Whether they have character or not is irrelevant. What I want is results.
    We're not paying them to win, M. We are paying them to *play*

This is the thing people miss when judging him. He is admitting here that his objectives were actually to finish top 4, and to sell our star players, as well as keeping fans interested enough in the football that they'd continue to turn up to games. The fact that this was needed in order for us to pay our debts, means that he should probably be judged differently to managers at other clubs who haven't faced this unique challenge.

"When you build a stadium, we had five to seven difficult financial years where we had to pay back - we had (to qualify) for the Champions League three years out of five and have an average (gate) of 54,000 people (to finance the new stadium). We didn't know we would be capable of that.

"We had to sell our best players every year to survive, but we didn't do three years out of five in the Champions League. We did five out of five. But during that time, it was very difficult."

"When you build a stadium, we had five to seven difficult financial years where we had to pay back - we had (to qualify) for the Champions League three years out of five and have an average (gate) of 54,000 people (to finance the new stadium). We didn't know we would be capable of that.

"We had to sell our best players every year to survive, but we didn't do three years out of five in the Champions League. We did five out of five. But during that time, it was very difficult."

Funny when people said that when it was happening. It was completely denied by the club and by the 'wenger knows best' types.

I am hoping LA is online to catch the bait.
    Last edited by Pat Vegas; 04-29-2016 at 10:28 AM.

Yes, they definitely didn't acknowledge it at the time and went as far as denying it was the case on many occasions. I don't think it's a case of rewriting history though. I think it would have been foolish to publicly admit it at the time

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    Funny when people said that when it was happening. It was completely denied by the club and by the 'wenger knows best' types.
    I'm fairly sure that most AW loyalists were, during the austerity years, saying that we were doing about as well as we could have been under the circumstances and with the richer clubs. I'm sure I was.

This year is a different matter. In the past the boss could be excused for not winning the league, but there aren't really any excuses this time. If he really is blaming the fans the shortcomings of himself and his playing staff then that is pretty rum stuff imo.

I wasn't keen on selling players to rivals though. We could have been a bit more strict on this imo. We set a bad precedent with Ashley Cole.
    And those are the players that Arsenal fans hate the most.

Some of the players sold such as Clichy to city were ok, he wasn't going to make a huge difference.
    van Persie to United should have never happened.