Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Why do Everton want Martinez out?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    The moral character of the sourcing of the monies is not the point I was making. The fact that they have had some free monies is not evil, but it is relevant to reg's point, that Leicester have torpedoed Wenger's historic excuses.
    I don't think Wenger has any more excuses to be honest.

For years he was able to use the rationale of having comparatively no money while others had free will to spend as they pleased, and indeed most - even the most ardent Wenger Outist - could accept this.

Now however he has money, lots of it, but chooses (we have to believe) from his own free will not to spend it - last summer for example. In essence a huge misjudgement of his own players / squad and the great intangible qualities he loves to continually harp on about.

Wenger out!

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I don't think Wenger has any more excuses to be honest.

For years he was able to use the rationale of having comparatively no money while others had free will to spend as they pleased, and indeed most - even the most ardent Wenger Outist - could accept this.

Now however he has money, lots of it, but chooses (we have to believe) from his own free will not to spend it - last summer for example. In essence a huge misjudgement of his own players / squad and the great intangible qualities he loves to continually harp on about.

Wenger out!
    That's why I said 'historic excuses' rather than contemporary ones. I actually wrote another sentance about being a top striker (eg Henry Kane) short of winning the league this season but deleted it for brevity. As usual, when I delete for brevity, the response is directed the area which would have been covered by the thing I deleted.

I agree that there are no excuses this year. I don't agree that this proves that there were no excuses for previous years.

That's why I said 'historic excuses' rather than contemporary ones. I actually wrote another sentance about being a top striker (eg Henry Kane) short of winning the league this season but deleted it for brevity. As usual, when I delete for brevity, the response is directed the area which would have been covered by the thing I deleted.

I agree that there are no excuses this year. I don't agree that this proves that there were no excuses for previous years.
    No, no, no.

Simply, we could have played better football with the players we had. However, rather than do this, we made the discussion all about players we *didn't* have.

That is the issue that Leicester City's success this year begins to prove, and Wenger and many supporters continue to try to skirt around, this season and for the decade past.

This is our greatest ever manager we are talking about, a genius.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    No, no, no.

Simply, we could have played better football with the players we had. However, rather than do this, we made the discussion all about players we *didn't* have.

That is the issue that Leicester City's success this year begins to prove, and Wenger and many supporters continue to try to skirt around, this season and for the decade past.

This is our greatest ever manager we are talking about, a genius.

Both apply, really. Either we have a decent striker instead of Gircott, and they bang in enough of the 157 chances that Mezut created, or the other players play to their level rather than below it and get the goals from midfield. The fact that AW has been unable to get the midfield purring doesn't alter the fact that despte this, a decent striker would probably have been enough.

Both apply, really. Either we have a decent striker instead of Gircott, and they bang in enough of the 157 chances that Mezut created, or the other players play to their level rather than below it and get the goals from midfield. The fact that AW has been unable to get the midfield purring doesn't alter the fact that despite this, a decent striker would probably have been enough.
    I agree. In fact, I think our lack of a top, top striker, (even a rubbish one from Fleetwood Town, say) actually absolves both Wenger and the team from censure for any failure to win the league. Personally, I reckon the thing to be nigh on impossible.

But that's just my views on football in general and *not* necessarily related to *our* team, even if it does happen to provide a fairly accurate illustration of the point. I think we do remarkably well, despite not having one.

It's possible I've made this point before
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Harry Kane is a good example. He was *our* player as late as 2001. Nothing to do with money at all.