Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Peak Freddie Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    aren't/weren't Queen just a novelty act, really?

An early precursor to other ****. Like The Darkness?
    Yeah, but which pop group *isn*t* a novelty act?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Oh, in trendy urbanland, Ronald McDonald id uncool now?

Who is protecting you and yours from the Hamburglar, a? Answer me that!
    Surely that was the job of Officer Big Mac?

3-officer-mcdonalds.jpg

The Darkness were more of a deliberate cheesy band playing homage to what they liked.
    They are clearly talented musicians.

Queen belongs in the theatre.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    aren't/weren't Queen just a novelty act, really?

An early precursor to other ****. Like The Darkness?
    Novelty acts don't sell that many records or fill that many stadia or get that much airtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    They were good, very good at what they did - from a technical perspective in terms of songwriting, arrangement and musicianship, and also from a commercial perspective where they press enough people's buttons to make them like it and buy it. So congratulations so far.

Aesthetically, however, they are not my cup pf tea. In fact they are my cup of coriander. Nauseiating, teeth-on-edge, and like an allergic reaction. I also find it simultaneously creepy, overblown, pompous, and yes, Burnley, quite frankly, uncool. In the same way that, for example, Ronald MacDonald is uncool.
    Seems a bit harsh, to me. Surely you just do whatever works best, don't you?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

The Jorge
    Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    That's not really what I meant, but I'll run with it. Give an example of a song that doesn't make you want to hit things, something you'd sing cheerfully in the bath.
    People=**** by Slipknot

Quote Originally Posted by The Jorge View Post
    People=**** by Slipknot
    Then you, sir, are fit only for treasons, stratagems and spoils, I'm afraid.

Queen WERE (I use past tense since some of them seem hellbent on carrying on as a travesty act), at moments in their career, pure genius. Aside from some very diverse and brilliantly composed songs (and plenty of duds too), they were also, as individual musicians, inimitable, from Freddie's unique voice and camp charisma, through May's unique guitar tone and harmonies, to the very underrated John Deacon, who's absence from their current "line up" is quite telling. Pity the Freddie biopic will be so tame and pointless, thanks to may and taylor being insistent on the final part of the film focussing on "how the band carried on after Freddie", pff.