Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm going away on 10th May for a week to a place with no telly :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Up norf innit. I've got to walk up mountains and ****.
    Where are you staying this time? Has it all dried out yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Where are you staying this time? Has it all dried out yet?
    I've found a place just outside Little Langdale. I'm going to be able to stagger out of the Three Shires at 9:30 pm, wander down to Slaters Bridge, sit amongst the swallows and the midges as the sun finally sinks away, and then stagger home to my wee little cottage

I'm trying to find a way to get the Caterham delivered up there so I can do the passes in it, but I can't find a mug willing to risk his life for 6 hours each way

I've found a place just outside Little Langdale. I'm going to be able to stagger out of the Three Shires at 9:30 pm, wander down to Slaters Bridge, sit amongst the swallows and the midges as the sun finally sinks away, and then stagger home to my wee little cottage

I'm trying to find a way to get the Caterham delivered up there so I can do the passes in it, but I can't find a mug willing to risk his life for 6 hours each way
    I remember the relief of finally getting to the Three Shires just before they stoped serving food for the evening after coming off the tops and having a long march down the road in the pissing rain for about six miles. They took our wet clothes to the drying room for us, and I had one of those very tall pies. Great days. Apart from the pissing rain, obviously, and the fear of gettting no dinner, and the encroaching darkness. At least when back on the road you know you're not going to fall off the mountain.

I remember the relief of finally getting to the Three Shires just before they stoped serving food for the evening after coming off the tops and having a long march down the road in the pissing rain for about six miles. They took our wet clothes to the drying room for us, and I had one of those very tall pies. Great days. Apart from the pissing rain, obviously, and the fear of gettting no dinner, and the encroaching darkness. At least when back on the road you know you're not going to fall off the mountain.
    I'm determined to do Striding Edge this time :gulp: :****mypants:

I'm determined to do Striding Edge this time :gulp: :****mypants:
    Now, now. I'm sure a chap like you is not going to be unnerved by being surrounded by too much air and not enough ground. I'm pretty scared of edges and ledges but it wasn't too bad. The worst problems I had on that route were slow moving non-regulars getting in the way who've never walked on a fell before but are doing Striding Edge because it's famous, and the final, mist-covered steep ascent to Hellvellyn at the end. The ridge itself was quite fun, ISTR.

If you want to be a Patterdale Hipster do Swirral Edge instead, or go back that way. It's similar, but with less traffic.

Now, now. I'm sure a chap like you is not going to be unnerved by being surrounded by too much air and not enough ground. I'm pretty scared of edges and ledges but it wasn't too bad. The worst problems I had on that route were slow moving non-regulars getting in the way who've never walked on a fell before but are doing Striding Edge because it's famous, and the final, mist-covered steep ascent to Hellvellyn at the end. The ridge itself was quite fun, ISTR.

If you want to be a Patterdale Hipster do Swirral Edge instead, or go back that way. It's similar, but with less traffic.
    **** edges for a game of soldiers. I get the heeby-jeebies doing the Cat's Back in the Black Mountains and that's much less dramatic.

the-cats-back.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    **** edges for a game of soldiers. I get the heeby-jeebies doing the Cat's Back in the Black Mountains and that's much less dramatic.

the-cats-back.jpg
    Did you ever drive up the mountain to the village of Mijas in Spain b? ****in hell....like a *******ing cartoon that road

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post
    Did you ever drive up the mountain to the village of Mijas in Spain b? ****in hell....like a *******ing cartoon that road
    I haven't, but I've been up similar. I remember one in Mallorca up to the Monastery where Chopin died. My poor mother was driving a left-hand drive hire car on the wrong side of the road for the first time and nearly died of fright.

I haven't, but I've been up similar. I remember one in Mallorca up to the Monastery where Chopin died. My poor mother was driving a left-hand drive hire car on the wrong side of the road for the first time and nearly died of fright.
    I stopped half way up to look upon an eagle flying hundreds of metres below

the-cats-back.jpg
    That looks nice. Last time I got the wibblies was going up Blencathra via the Hall Fell edge, which is nowhere near as dicey as Sharp Edge, but still a bit ... edgy.