Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Jimmy Young.....orf he jolly well goes

Jimmy Young.....orf he jolly well goes

95 though, decent innings.

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterday Once More View Post
    Yup. A DJ at the BBC from 1967 to 2002 and, as far as anyone could tell, he never nonced anyone off. Remarkable effort by the boy Young there. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterday Once More View Post
    The sound of his and Wogan's voices seem indicative of a softer, kinder, gentler age. Which is odd, really, given that their heyday in the 70s and 80s was actually a period of widespread casual violence.

I sort of miss widespread casual violence. The days when the way you dressed exhibited the kind of music you liked, and when your choice of this music and clothing would quite likely lead, quite properly, to a good beating in the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    The sound of his and Wogan's voices seem indicative of a softer, kinder, gentler age. Which is odd, really, given that their heyday in the 70s and 80s was actually a period of widespread casual violence.

I sort of miss widespread casual violence. The days when the way you dressed exhibited the kind of music you liked, and when your choice of this music and clothing would quite likely lead, quite properly, to a good beating in the street.
    Perhaps the two are intrinsically linked. People did generally behave better when there was the real possibility of consequence-free physical violence if you didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Perhaps the two are intrinsically linked. People did generally behave better when there was the real possibility of consequence-free physical violence if you didn't.
    I'm not sure. You still got effete lads with hair gel wandering around wearing Smiths t-shirts; but at least they suffered for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I'm not sure. You still got effete lads with hair gel wandering around wearing Smiths t-shirts; but at least they suffered for it.
    Yes, but at least no-one thought they had a god-given right not to be punched occasionally. One had to toughen up in them days. I was listening to a lady called Claire Fox the other day very sensibly pointing out that generation snowflake (not the phrase she used) had been brought up to be both frightened of everything (*****s, food allergies, germs, nasty words, bullying, etc, etc) and to think that they the absolute centre of the universe with a right to get their own way. She basically then pointed out that this had resulted in a generation of terrified narcissists who think they're entitled to safety and many of whom simply don't have the mechanisms for dealing with life's reverses.

Bodes well for the future.