Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I saw Prince during his 21 show residency at the O2 in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Headgear - Wannabe viking View Post
    I'm not particularly enamoured of UB40, though some of their earlier stuff was ok.

Of course, if reggae for you is "UB40" then I can see why you might think life was too short for it.
    Look, these people couldn't even write basic English properly. 'Pirate ships they rob I'? What the **** is that supposed to mean?

In this situation, you may consider me John Cleese and Bob Marley Terry Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post
    Their first album was great.
    I used to record with the bloke that recorded that album, Bob Lamb, in a studio he set up with the money he made from it. We used to rehearse in his studio too, until Ocean Colour Scene (nee the Fanatics, of course) got their publishing deal and block booked the rehearsal room for six months, the feckers. But Bob let us rehearse in the main studio when he wasn't recording in it. OCS used to leave their fan mail lying around in the kitchen.

The studio was in Highbury Road, Kings Heath. Highbury was a big house in Brum named after ... OUR Highbury in N5.

Bob worked with Duran Duran too.

http://duranduran.wikia.com/wiki/Bob_Lamb

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Neil Sedaka's seminal 'Steppin' Out' was released in 1976.
    And of course Rumours was recorded in 76 and released in 77.

And Malcolm MacDonald signed for Arsenal in 1976.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I used to record with the bloke that recorded that album, Bob Lamb, in a studio he set up with the money he made from it. We used to rehearse in his studio too, until Ocean Colour Scene (nee the Fanatics, of course) got their publishing deal and block booked the rehearsal room for six months, the feckers. But Bob let us rehearse in the main studio when he wasn't recording in it. OCS used to leave their fan mail lying around in the kitchen.

The studio was in Highbury Road, Kings Heath. Highbury was a big house in Brum named after ... OUR Highbury in N5.

Bob worked with Duran Duran too.

http://duranduran.wikia.com/wiki/Bob_Lamb
    Did you get to meet Stephen Duffy?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Look, these people couldn't even write basic English properly. 'Pirate ships they rob I'? What the **** is that supposed to mean?

In this situation, you may consider me John Cleese and Bob Marley Terry Jones.

Well Redemption Song, of course, wasn't a reggae tune at all.

Besides that, if "writing basic English properly" is a criterion for your appreciation of music then I think you may well be missing out on a fairly large amount of good tunes.

Well Redemption Song, of course, wasn't a reggae tune at all.

Besides that, if "writing basic English properly" is a criterion for your appreciation of music then I think you may well be missing out on a fairly large amount of good tunes.
    I'm going to give you credit and assume you deliberately used 'amount' rather than 'number' there, doc.

The voice is just another instrument. Having words that make any sense, have any meaning, never mind being grammatically sound is just a bonus.

Though of course there's no excuse for The Cocteau Twins.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Did you get to meet Stephen Duffy?
    No. I think the chap I knew was Andy Wickett. Until the time he was round the flat and foolishly started a fight with my streetfighting flatmate from West Brom and got his head seriously kicked in. Claret everywhere. Apart from the time he came round to apologise for that we didn't see him again. Saw him perform once or twice. Good looking fella and decent singer but not good looking enough, it seemed. Simon le Bon was considered better looking and poor Andy never got over it. It's why he did silly things like picking fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    No. I think the chap I knew was Andy Wickett. Until the time he was round the flat and foolishly started a fight with my streetfighting flatmate from West Brom and got his head seriously kicked in. Claret everywhere. Apart from the time he came round to apologise for that we didn't see him again. Saw him perform once or twice. Good looking fella and decent singer but not good looking enough, it seemed. Simon le Bon was considered better looking and poor Andy never got over it. It's why he did silly things like picking fights.

Ha! Yes. Simon le Bon is indeed most appealing. Sweet, charming and engaging too.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."