Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hey Jorge – so tell us again how there's "no division" because some of your best mates are muslim

Pretty much, yes. The Salmon Fishing Rights issues have largely been

amicably resolved at last. That was always the major diplomatic stress point, even way back when I had to put in my shift there.

I have stated that religion as a whole has to be defeated. Saying “but what about

catholic/protestant sectarianism” doesn’t wash. That is a self-contained problem and one that no longer threatens you and I in any meaningful way.

In contrast, we are in a situation where, if we turned on the news now and ten thousand Londoners had been killed in a chemical or dirty bomb attack, neither of us would be in the remotest bit surprised. In fact, the only thing that would surprise us to the point of it being inconceivable, is if the perpetrators of said attack turned out to not be Jihadists.

See the difference?

"I have no direct, personal experience of the problem therefore it's not a problem"?

Listen mate, you stick to your bogeymen. Continue to be outraged when the problem effects westerners, and only then. Continue to blame 1.6bn people for the actions of a few thousand.

I'm done here, this is boring me and everyone else.

Salaam

Except I didn’t say it’s not a problem. I said it’s a self-contained problem that carries nothing

like the same urgency to be tackled as that of Islamic extremism. Because there’s no-one involved in the sectarian rivalry between catholics and protestants actively plotting to kill as many of the other side (i.e. anyone not of their very specific sect) as possible.

That really is a crucial difference.

To be fair, it's been a while since the actual religious differences between catholics and

protestants has been the real issue in Northern Ireland. The issues have long been political in terms of different desired outcomes in terms of the future of the country. So raising that as a comparable instance of religious sectarianism is a bit of a red herring, really.