Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jorge. My wife is going to a family funeral up your way tomorrow.

Jorge. My wife is going to a family funeral up your way tomorrow.

Shrewd move imo, I often find wakes can fracture over the Tex-Mex/Chinese divide

What sort of people have a wake not in a pub?!

To reveal the full horror, where abouts are we talking when you say 'near'?

It's not the Ravenscliffe/Apperly Bridge one, is it? Rough side of the valley, that.

I can see it kicking off over the bill division and who 'upgraded' to half rice/half chips

Hah, that's the feller. I went to an awful networking lunch there

Apperley Bridge is actually quite nice but the surrounding environs are rough as a badger's arse. Not even salt-of-the-earth rough either, the nick the salt from your earth rough.

Yes. You do have to remember that the wife is properly from the wrong side of the tracks. Bradford

Moor. The people who've organised this **** actually have the temerity to look down on her family.

Oh blimey, yeah that's another rough place.

Went to look at a car there, safe to say it wasnt theirs.

I'm not allowed to go. Some weird working class snobbery stuff I don't really get.

See, I thought I would either a/ trigger the inner forelock-tugging mechanism of these proles or b/ act as a convenient hate figure, thus taking the heat off my moved away/done well for herself and thus apparently hateful in working class terms wife.

No. She thinks I'd just end up getting on famously with them while they still hated her anyway. So she'd rather I didn't go.

Working class snobbery/envy is f**king weird. I don't get it.

All snobbery is weird, I find it utterly fascinating

Working class snobbery's real difference is that it is largely inverted. My mother, who raised a kid on her own, worked two jobs, got a degree and went on to become a lecturer is seen as stuck up for only having one kid.

I, living in a terraced house in Bradford, am seen as snobbish and out of touch. I was once stupid enough to bring a book around to my cousins and have yet to be forgiven for this sleight some fifteen years hence.

That said, you'd get on famously with people from Bradford. There's literally no side to your average Bradfordian, they dont give a f**k, in the nicest way possible. They may attempt to engage you on the subject of M62 rugby though.

People have told you they see your mother as snobbish for only having had one child?

Doesn't want you meeting the 30 odd geezers that shagged her before you Smile