Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on yesterday

Thoughts on yesterday

First of all no excuses, awful awful performance at united.

To lose to that united team which manly had youngsters bar couple of experience players such as Carrick, Mata and De Gera was not good enough.

Arsenal were lazy of the ball, complacent and took united for granted and paid the price. Total opposite to how they were at home to leicester and barcelona. Won,t win the title in many peformances like that.

But in the end the gap only five points and spurs and leicester hardly convcing themselves at the weekend.
    Sure yesterday was annoying and deflating but wins over swansea and draw or win at spurs and its back on track.

City are still the only big threat long term.
    They are the team i fear and for me with kompany back and two league titles under their belt they come from behind and they looked dangerous outfit in League cup final vs liverpool yesterday.

They know what it takes to surge to trophies as a group.

Game at city in may could be the title decider as sense it been all long set up to be. Hopefully we to far clear bar then of them.

spurs and leicester have done well but will melt with inexperience of chasing trophies coming may.

Its up to us to keep city away from us and respond next few weeks. april onwards is kind so important the team deliver in next two big away games at spurs and everton.

Lads responded after southampton, with two home wins in a row. Lets do it again. Its going to be arsenal or city that win it. Lets hope the lads get over yesterday and respond.

Modd stop being so pointlessly optimistic. We saw all last week how the team has given up. Since

the Barcelona game all that's happened is that we are three points further behind Leicester and Spurs with one game less to play.

Leicester showed they can beat a small team. Spurs showed fight in coming back from a goal down. We showed we couldn't beat the weakest Utd team in living memory, riddled with injuries and with players played out of position. With an ounce of fight we'd have blown them apart. We didn't and we're out of it.

I like you mo. Your a good guy so don,t want to argue

I respectfully disagree and think it so silly to write arsenal of when five points down with 11 games left behind two teams who have no history of winning anything. the lads might be top come the end of the week if win next two games

Also you say leicester, spurs showed fight . did arsenal not show fight coming from behind vs the same leicester team two weeks earlier.

city are still the bigger threat and the fact they could be point within if win game in hand is most disspointing aspect.

yes peformance yesterday was pathitic and can,t be repeated if they want to win the leqague. but it was awful at southampton and then arsenal won two games in a row. It was bad vs southampton at home and then they won two in a row

but win couple of games and it be whole different mood on here mate

look i am not glossing over the disspointment but putting it into prespective.

Thank you modd, I like you too. It's not an argument, it's a discussion.

Two weeks ago we gave ourselves a chance but let's face it, we gotlucky with the Leicester sending-off (as they got lucky with the penalty). Didn't look like breaking them down 11 v 11.

But at least we got the result, and at the end that's what matters. Our two title rivals laboured but they got 3 points, we laboured and got nowt.

I'd luv it if we won but this lot have taken away my belief. No leaders on the pitch, and that doesn't change overnight.

In theory yes, we win 2 games and if Leicester drop points at Watford they're still catchable. We'd still be third though.

But the sad truth is we're not likely to win on Saturday and we may lose. And Leicester may win both games.

In that doomsday scenario, with nine games to go and us six and eight points behind and well behind on goal difference, the fat lady will have sung for us.

Thank you to mo . You make some good points to be fair

disagree about leaders. two fa cup in row is not from some team with no leaders. what about cech, kos, per mertersacker are they no leaders. is flammi not a leader or sanchez. sorry don,t buy that.

but i agree they can,t afford two lose at spurs more mentally then the points. i personally think win vs swansea and a draw or win at spurs will be fine. league could easliy look like this come saturday night

this team was written of after going four games without a win and then they responded with wins over bournmuth and leicester when they needed to.

so lets see what happens man
    I agree it be deep trouble if we lose on saturday but i am confident we can beat a team with beaten before this season in the league cup remeber. It be tight game always is. results last few years prove with their 2-1 last season and are 1-0 win the year before. win and we could kill them off. I take a draw or a win.

Look spurs have tough games mate. they got west ham away and us and thats not easy . plus got two dortmund games this month, going to push their young inexperienced squad in my view. their fixtures in aprtil are brutal to even if by chance ahead of us with games vs united, liverpool, stoke and chelsea.

leicester have easier games but trips to palace, watfrod, united, chelsea will not be easy mate.

City still the team that will have the edge maybe if their two or three points within everyone come last few games. Their the team i fear the most even though we beat them. far better team when kompany is fit. Got tough away games though still to go to liverpool, chelsea and southampton.

so its a exicting league if low quality.

Can't read too much into the league cup game, second string mostly that night. Cech has

leadership qualities and the others but we have no-one who tells people what to do on the pitch. It's partly Wenger's fault - he's never attached importance to who the captain is.

I'm more optimistic than you on City. I think they've shot their bolt this season.

Let's hope we win both games and give ourselves a chance but I won't get upset if we don't because it's getting too depressing.

I agree about cech and your right league cup does not

relate but I think arsene understood importantce of captain. per is a true leader in my view and missed his leadership yesterday. no idea why arsene dropped him and he might not be quick but far more nous defender then gabreal still.

I disagree over city. win yesterday give them momentium. Might not come back in the end but they will always be a threat even if five or six behind with six games left. they done what other three have not done. won this league and that could matter. but they can,t afford many more f**k up. defeat at liverpool be damagining for them

I think win both games and team right back on slot with after that only really everton, city and west ham tough games from remaining nine left after that.

so lots will change over the season. I understand the feat though after way we fell away in 2008 and 2010 and 2014 but it be different this time in my view

Arsene has said more than once it isn;t important who is captain, he's often used it to stop players

From leaving (Titi, Fabregas - it didn't work). Per has some qualitites but you really need someone on the pitch who has authority and who tells other players where to get off. Haven't really had that since Tony Adams.

I'll put the champagne back on ice just in case.

Agree in some ways he made mistake in the past

of making likes of cesc and henry captains when they were unsettied and deep down wanted out. But i think with tony adams and paddy and more recently with per mersacker he has appointed proper leaders.

I agree per not a tony Adams but noone can tell me he is not a leader. ask his teammates or the national one they stood up and appouded when he retired after his world cup sucesss.. the way he drove arsenal on in that cup semi vs wigan to turn the game around was huge with that header

so their are leaders. you don,t win two fa cup in a row without some.

their no champagine on ice. its open title race but i still think one of arsenal or city will win it. I just hope its arsenal

This is a simple question...

...what have Arsenal shown this season in the Premier League to make you think they are good enough to win the title?

As Mo has already said, I don't want to be argumentative but I'm really struggling to work out what your optimism is founded on.