Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So we're now being told we should only drink 14 units a week to be safe - the same as women. Frown

So we're now being told we should only drink 14 units a week to be safe - the same as women. Frown

Not only is this an insult to the British drinking man, it's also a load of horse****.

There has been no actual change in terms of the risk that alcohol actually poses to health and this new limit is not based on any new evidence. All these figures represent is an attempt to outline the supposed statistical risk levels posed by alcohol consumption and recommend to us that we keep that risk level low and - absurdly - it is defining 1% as the upper limit for 'low risk'. That is all that has happened - the definition of what constitutes 'low risk' has been changed arbitrarily.

This is very deliberately being done in the New Year when some people have just consumed more alcohol than they normally might, may be feeling the effects and are thus more susceptible to being frightened into restricting their consumption.

Of course, as they admit themselves “there is little evidence regarding the impact of any guidelines in changing health behaviours”, so quite why they bother is beyond me.

They can properly f**k off.

14 units a week HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

f**k, as you say, off.

I don't get outraged by much these days but I'm properly furious about that.

What worries me is that it'll be seen as an excuse to hike prices. Have to start brewing me own

This statistic properly made me laugh it was such obvious bull****.

Quote:
    The latest Health Survey for England says that 85% of women and 68% of men drank 14 units or fewer a week in 2014, including those who did not drink at all. By comparison, 78% of men drank 21 units a week or fewer.

I wonder how that stacks up against the number of units bought and consumed nationally? My guess is that, were those figures in any way true, the rest of us would have to be consuming fatal levels of booze every day in order to make up the shortfall.

That's not even allowing for a Friday night!!

not that I'm drinking currently, small sabbatical until the new addition arrives

My worry is that foreign nations will start laughing at us and calling us lightweights, psrb. Frown

I don't drink that in a month, Not because of some sort of any anti drink stance

I rarely drink now I don't know why.

Only wine now and again if I am going out for dinner.

We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall

fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender

which part is bull****?

Wouldn't even allow for a Friday lunchtime back in the day...