Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: The Wenger L'equipe interview has been translated. The 2nd half is most interesting

The Wenger L'equipe interview has been translated. The 2nd half is most interesting

http://news.arseblog.com/2015/11/arsene-wengers-full-intervi ew-with-lequipe-sport-and-style/

AW: For me, the beauty of sport is that everyone wants to win, but there will only be one winner. If you put 20 billionaires at the end of the twenty English clubs, there will only be one champion and nineteen disappointments. My grandfather used to say “I don’t understand, at the 100 metres, one runs in 10.1 seconds and the other one in 10.2 seconds, both are very fast. What’s the point?”

Today, we glorify the one that ran in 10.1 seconds, and say the one that ran 10.2 seconds. But both of them are very fast. That’s dangerous for sports. We have reached an era in which we glorify the winner, without looking at the means or the method. And ten years later we realise the guy was a cheat. And during that time, the one that came second suffered. He didn’t get recognition. And with all that’s been said about them…they can be very unhappy.

Very interesting analogy imo

This comment is quite interesting, at least Neg will think so.....

AW: I don’t deny that I’m first and foremost an educator. However, I don’t feel like an aristocrat at all. If you had lived with me, loading manure on carts, you would have understood. I try to be faithful to the values that I believe to be important in life and to pass them on to others. In thirty years as a manager, I’ve never had my players injected to make them better. I never gave them any product that would help enhance their performance. I’m proud of that. I’ve played against many teams that weren’t in that frame of mind.

Were we not at one point the fore-runners, in a UK sense, regarding use of creatine?

Later stopped for whatever reason.