Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A fairly decent attempt by the Jamaicans to skim a few quid from HMRC I thought Roll eyes

Errr, yes they did. Captives from Britain were taken as slaves and sold throughout the empire.

Equally, plenty of captives from elsewhere ended up in Britain as slaves - the free movement of labour was a big part of the Roman Empire, too

I don't think "we" can be blamed. "We" were subject to constant invasion

so like a battered child "we" were more likely to carry on that sort of behavior. Bascially the Normans should have put us in psychoanalysis sometime about 1136

Dont worry, I'm sure Dave agrees with you

And even says "thank you very much" a lot in the same indignant, jowley fashion too. The whole thing brings to mind that Galbraith quote.

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

Just apologise, be the bigger man.

And given that the 'we' to whom j is referrring in the Roman invasions were all Celts who were

enslaved, subsumed or scattered to the Celtic fringe by the Saxon invaders, it all gets a bit complex deciding which 'we' is innocent and which 'we' is guilty imo.

Roll eyes It's really not like it was on a comparable scale

And if you're using the behaviour of the romans as a moral yardstick I'm not sure anybody will come out of it well.

Pandering to the childishness of others is not 'being the bigger man', it is simply being childish.

We still have the vestiges of colonial wealth and the same ruling class though

Cameron his self is the descendant of slave owners

hehe Camerson's 6th cousin or something

Given that the population of Italy during the Roman period was thought to be between 35-40 per cent

slaves, I'm really not sure you want to get into the question of scale, to be honest. Equally, people tended to take slaves away from their home country to stop them running back to their homes, so transportation was very much part of the deal.

I'm not using any moral yardsticks, simply pointing out that everyone has something to whine about if you go back far enough, which makes special pleading such as that from the Jamaicans pretty redundant.

I suppose you'd have to consider it childish to think of it like that