Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A fairly decent attempt by the Jamaicans to skim a few quid from HMRC I thought Roll eyes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A fairly decent attempt by the Jamaicans to skim a few quid from HMRC I thought Roll eyes

“We ask not for handouts or any such acts of indecent submission. We merely ask that you acknowledge responsibility for your share of this situation and move to contribute in a joint programme of rehabilitation and renewal. The continuing suffering of our people, Sir, is as much your nation’s duty to alleviate as it is ours to resolve in steadfast acts of self-responsibility.”

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/jamaica-calls-for-brita in-to-pay-billions-of-pounds-in-reparations-for-slavery/ar-A AeTzdS?ocid=spartandhp

Because it's not like we ever took anything from them, is it?

You can't just put a sum on every act of colonial expansion

It's an absurd request after 3-400 years.
    Besides, how much do the Romans owe on that basis

Germany should reverse claim off Greece since they started it all pre roman times Smile

taking there visigoths and huns as slaves!

Any advance on the Xia dynasty. They were at it as far back as 2,100 bc apparently

Those neanderthals can put in a fairly decent genocide one against us humans imo

ill get some no win no fee chappies onto it now

I dont know, but to go over there acting like we've nothing to apologise for is a bit much

I think the head of the reparations committee has actually said an apology would suffice.

The comparison with the Romans is a bit much, mind. As far as I'm aware they didnt uproot us from a completely different continent, cart us the breadth of the known world whilst a high percentage perished along the way, and then make us work as slaves until we died.

I mean, I may be wrong, but as far as I'm aware they didnt.

I'm not really sure what an apology is meant to achieve beyond a generation.

Are the Germans expected to apologise to the jews for Nazi atrocities in the year 2300 ?
    Does there not come a point when people respect the past but ultimately move on.

I'm not really sure that's a decent comparison either

I think apologising might be the right thing to do and would also at least start to allow some moving on.

Mind you, we've a ridiculous amount of apologising to do given our bloody track record.

Erm, Rome was a society almost entirely predicated on slavery, j. Slaves were taken from all over

the empire and 'carted off' to other parts of it with plenty of them dying on the way and when they got to where they were going. The same went for the Greeks.

Slavery in one form or another is pretty much a constant in human history up until pretty damn recently. Us throwing our hands up in horror at it now simply displays our lack of perspective.