Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A fairly decent attempt by the Jamaicans to skim a few quid from HMRC I thought Roll eyes

A fairly decent attempt by the Jamaicans to skim a few quid from HMRC I thought Roll eyes

“We ask not for handouts or any such acts of indecent submission. We merely ask that you acknowledge responsibility for your share of this situation and move to contribute in a joint programme of rehabilitation and renewal. The continuing suffering of our people, Sir, is as much your nation’s duty to alleviate as it is ours to resolve in steadfast acts of self-responsibility.”

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/jamaica-calls-for-brita in-to-pay-billions-of-pounds-in-reparations-for-slavery/ar-A AeTzdS?ocid=spartandhp

Because it's not like we ever took anything from them, is it?

You can't just put a sum on every act of colonial expansion

It's an absurd request after 3-400 years.
    Besides, how much do the Romans owe on that basis

Germany should reverse claim off Greece since they started it all pre roman times Smile

taking there visigoths and huns as slaves!

I dont know, but to go over there acting like we've nothing to apologise for is a bit much

I think the head of the reparations committee has actually said an apology would suffice.

The comparison with the Romans is a bit much, mind. As far as I'm aware they didnt uproot us from a completely different continent, cart us the breadth of the known world whilst a high percentage perished along the way, and then make us work as slaves until we died.

I mean, I may be wrong, but as far as I'm aware they didnt.

Any advance on the Xia dynasty. They were at it as far back as 2,100 bc apparently

Those neanderthals can put in a fairly decent genocide one against us humans imo

ill get some no win no fee chappies onto it now

Oh, everyone tries this these days. It's all absurd, grandstanding *******s.

The idea that people in this country - many of whom are the descendants of relatively recent immigrants themselves and thus have no historical link whatsoever with the slave trade - should be made to pay for something that ended nearly two hundred years ago is utterly absurd and unjust. Indeed, the whole idea is redolent of the repellent concept of racial guilt, whereby a group can be held guilty of the 'crimes' of its ancestors simply by virtue of their heredity. Such a concept ought to have been thoroughly discredited by now, one would have liked to think,

Indeed, such a proposition raises the absurd possibility that descendants of slaves living in the UK should be out of pocket in order to enrich white Jamaicans who are the direct descendants of slaveowners.

I'm not really sure what an apology is meant to achieve beyond a generation.

Are the Germans expected to apologise to the jews for Nazi atrocities in the year 2300 ?
    Does there not come a point when people respect the past but ultimately move on.

'We'? Well I'm pretty sure I've never taken a damn thing from them, tbh.

My conscience is 100 per cent clear as regards our Jamaican chums, thanks.