Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: “Can we try to have more of a grown-up media? Or is that too much to ask?”

Do you mean the sort of stories that are constantly run in the Guardian?

There is an entire section of the mainstream media that covers those stories on a daily basis. Hell,

, I even posted some articles the other day from the rabidly pro-Tory Daily Telegraph covering in great detail (and highly objectively) the deaths of people deemed to have been caused by welfare cuts.

Or to put it more succinctly, what in the name of Christ are you jibbering on about?

You were saying that it would be impossible for The Sun to deal with real issues. I countered that.

Not sure why you're struggling to comprehend that.

The Sun covers real issues every day. But it does so in a way that will appeal to its

cretinous, cancer deserving readers. If it did anything else, it would not survive because no-one would read it.

What exactly have i failed to comprehend here?

Simply put, the public has better, more important and pressing

things to worry about, unlike politicians. And, furthermore, crucially, the public is actually *responsible* for dealing with these things (mortgage payments, the kids' new ipad, posh holidays and so on), unlike politics which is, rightly, merely the responsibility of politicians.

The only people who care about "the issues" are probably people who have no money, no families and almost certainly therefore no hope or future. They use the so-called more important stuff to make themselves feel .. well, more important, and to mask their own weakness and impotence.

Nobody seriously expects you or I, or even this Corbyn worthy, to actually solve any particular world crisis. However, appearing to worry about it allows us to avoid taking actual responsibility for stuff. Local, salient matters where our active input could make a real difference. Like the wife's new hairdo or the fact that the house needs painting and the lawn needs mowing.

Everyone wants to save the planet, as the man said. But nobody wants to help mum do the dishes.

Reg, my dear old mum got me doing the dishes from when I could hardly reach the sink.

She "never took no **** from no-one" as the old Clash song went.

And of course people care about housing, jobs and living standards. How else do they can afford a new iPad?

What is an iPad, anyway? Is it a studio flat of some kind?

Well played, your mum, imo. An important example to all.

Now, if you'd only followed this lead and emphasised its value to your own offspring, the world would be a better place already.

People do *not* care about housing, jobs and living standards; they care about their *own* housing, jobs and living standards, which is a different matter entirely. The latter demands personal responsibility and leadership whereas the former merely requires whining; no actual morals, merely an impertinent, bossy and arrogant presumption of moral superiority.

I'm not completely au fait with the science of the thing but I gather an ipad is the solution to all household, or "housing", if you prefer, issues. In fact, if they come with a house-painting application included, I may have to get one for myself