Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: I am aware that the whole transgender thing is a particular bugbear of mine and a subject on which I

Like marriage, you mean?

Truly the gods are cruel

Excellent. Of course, since I am never likely to use the term LGBTQI that's not

a lot of use to me, but still.

Anyway, what does this have to do with transgenders?

It just seems odd to be so resolute in your belief that these people were not born with a biological

variation. How can you be so sure?

I'm not sure. I have an opinion based on the available evidence, none of which in any way conclusive

that there is such a thing as transgender. Certainly there may well be a biological reason why these people are as they are, but there are biological reasons for many delusions - including schizophrenia. No such biochemical imbalance or dysfunction can make a man a woman or vice versa - any more than paranoid schizophrenia means you are actually talking to God or are Napoleon or whatever.

Of course, I may be wrong. However, there is no evidence to prove me wrong as things stand, but despite that, it is increasingly socially unacceptable to express my doubts and reservations on this matter.

That capacity for one group who - lest we forget - may well be delusional to shut down debate is a deeply worrying precedent, I would have thought.

I don't think there is a push to shut down debate. I think there is a

push to shut down petty and callous treatment of these people, among which I would count someone who stubbornly refuses to use a biologically accurate pronoun against someone's wishes.

No-one is getting sacked for raising legitimate science-based questions about these people and their 'condition'.

So you're one of those Guardian-reading lefto-fascists, I see.

Nah. I only advocate basic manners and respect (stop laughing)

I don't think anyone should be losing their job for calling a man a man.

I'm not laughing. I'm sitting with my chin on my chest in pure wonder that you have the balls to

write such a thing.

Now I'm shaking my head a bit.

Now I've spat at my monitor

Well there's the difficulty, you see? You are saying that it is 'callous' to tell the truth rather

than a lie. And it is a lie - you may consider it a white lie, but lies have a habit of proliferating.

You need to ask yourself where that lie leads? And the answer is men being allowed to use female changing and lavatory facilities, be imprisoned in female prisons, join female sports teams and sundry other absurdities. Why? Because well-meaning people like you make it impossible to stop the insanity and say 'BECAUSE YOU ARE A MAN' when these people ask why they shouldn't be treated in exactly the same way as women.

Truth is not something to be taken too lightly. When we insist that our media, politicians and other public figures tell an outright lie in the name of 'niceness', then we start to devalue - or at least render negotiable - the idea of truth itself. That is not merely irritating, it is genuinely dangerous.

You misunderstand. I am simply saying I think these people deserve

to be treated with the same tact and empathy that I am fairly sure you would afford any other mentally ill person.

I think if you remove the grandstanding on your part, we aren't too far apart on this subject at all.