Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: I am aware that the whole transgender thing is a particular bugbear of mine and a subject on which I

I'd like to sit with my chin on your mum's chest

Everyone should be treated with tact and empathy until such time as they merit not being treated in

such a way

However, there is a massive difference between treating a tiny segment of aberrant people with tact and empathy and trying to make everyone pretend the world is other than it is in order to make them feel better about their aberration. We don't pretend cripples can run or that blindoids can see, so why should we pretend that a man is a woman?

Because transgenders are discriminated against above and beyond

the ways in which you describe. They are an oppressed minority group and deserve protection

How are they oppressed other than by the inconvenient fact of their biologies?

Sorry, you are denying that transgenders suffer non-state sanctioned

discrimination?

I'm asking you what you would consider to be discrimination in such a case.

If your definition of non-discrimination means a six foot man should be able to walk into a social situation or job interview, dressed like a woman with a woman's name and expect no-one to bat an eyelid or react or act as if there's something amiss, then I'm afraid you're asking too much of your fellow human beings. You might as well insist that David Icke has the right to be taken seriously when he tells us we're ruled by lizards.

General social unpleasantness. The kind of stuff that the benders

by and large don't have to put up with anymore. A shifting of then needle in social etiquette.

That would be a reasonable end-point, I think.

Oh, I wouldn't disagree. I am generally against social unpleasantness.

General good manners should take care of that, though, surely? However, there is always going to be a certain amount awkwardness when you ask people to undergo a process of cognitive dissonance where what they're seeing and hearing goes against what they're thinking like that.

Anyway, at what point do we just accept that some people are going to get a raw deal? What about ugly people, for instance? In the sense you mean it, ugly people are discriminated against far more commonly than transgenders are, but where's their lobby? And it's even worse for the stupid and ugly.

I think generally speaking ugly people enjoy a certain security in numbers

in the sense that they are generally surrounded by other unattractive people and by virtue of this enjoy a certain immunity from explicit social ridicule.

So I don't think that is a meaningful social issue. People who are ugly due to deformities, of course, is a different matter.

Inconclusive, insane, indifferent, indecisive, inept etc.