Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Ok, I know knocking the Guardian is little bit an Awimb sport nowadays, but I have to say, this

We can play (nationalised) trains!

No. I'm saying it behoves whoever has a question to answert to answer it rather than to respond

with another question. That hardly seems unreasonable, does it?

Were a politician on the BBC asked to justify wasting public money, would you be happy for them to refuse to answer the question on the basis that the BBC is hardly in a position to question anyone on the wasting of public money? Of course not. You'd want the question answered. However good his point about the BBC may have been, it is not germane.

The BBC doesn't stand for election though. A better example would be if a labour politician accused

a tory politician of wasting public money.

In that case you, with your views, would hardly blame the tory if his initial reaction was to laugh in his opponent's face. Not the end of the argument, but an opening reposte.

Not an argument at all, in fact. Shrug An evasion and nothing more.

And, of course, if someone is being evasive, you have to ask yourself why, don't you?

Yes, we will sort this out by forcefully dealing with your baby-eaters first.

My baby eaters are strategic allies and we will make representations to them through the appropriate channels. We would be mad to abandon them though. Sometimes tough decisions have to be made for the good of the country. Realpolitik.

Well. There you are. Welcome to the real world.

Context.

Misdirection

No, like I said, you just haven't got any bottle and therefore resent chaps who do.

Great bird hoves into view; I am not going to allow that opportunity to pass just because it's broad daylight and I'm sober, now am I.

I understand your point and being prepared to take such grave social risks displays a gentlemanly sense of honour and fidelity rather better than a drunken grab and grope in the dark, I would say.

Actually, I think both are correct. It all depends on where you're standing.

Those that are, let us say, ahead, and wish to stay there, will take one view; those "behind" and hoping to catch up, will take another.