Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Just watched the ISIS video of the fellas being blown up in a car and drowned in a cage.

Even the mere fact that you watched 9/11 weakens your high ground, I'm afraid.

What stopped you diverting your eyes, if not prurience?

I cant say I disagree, though there's always a fascination in death

I just thought you'd see it as part and parcel of the whole war business.

Your attempts to conflate watching footage of massive news or historical events that are

a part of our modern iconography with deliberately going out of your way to seek out footage of men dying are heroic but doomed, I'm afraid. They are in no sense similar.

Watching an aeroplane hit a building is in no way the same as watching the face of a dying man. In one, you can see the event, weigh its significance in political terms while imagining the horror and terror of the victims without having to see it in close up. In the other instance, however, you are actively seeking the close-up. The only wider significance the footage has is that which you give it by watching. You are therefore deliberately complicit in the act.

Wars are vast historical and political events in which I take an academic interest.

That doesn't mean I want to watch men die in agony.

Nod You're a father now; you have a responsibilty to try to understand

and face the world you're bringing your children into.

You have no hiding place anymore.

Compelled to watch? What tosh!