Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This women's world cup nonsense. Are people 'actually' watching it? And if so, can anyone offer a

This women's world cup nonsense. Are people 'actually' watching it? And if so, can anyone offer a

decent reason as to why?

Jonathan Pearce' excruciating over the top commentary kills it for me Yawn

The quality of football played is also a bit gash... ardonthepun:

The problem is not so much the quality as the lack of any interesting narratives

or sub-plots. Or at least if there are some, most of us don't know about them.

As a non watcher of women's football, I know none of the players, none of their back-stories, none of the previous results. I have absolutely no context beyond the game itself.

The fact is, the standard is higher than that of - say - an under 16s bloke's match, but we could probably summon some interest in an Arsenal Under 16s match if we knew that a few potential starts of the future were playing.

I think it's been pretty decent actually, watched both games on saturday night

In fairness, Australia Japan wasnt exactly the spectacle we'd all been waiting for but Canada England was a decent game.

It's a fair point. For the same reason, I can have little interest in watching most foreign football

That said, it's also rubbish. They should play on smaller pitches imo.

You can't really banter the dollies off; all you can really do is patronise them.

Which, of course, rather defeats the object of the whole thing

Yeah, like that's the point Roll eyes

To be honest, the presence in the later stages of the tournament of non-football-centric nations is

also an issue for me. Australia, the USA, Canada and Japan have no business in the latter stages of an international football tournament.

Also, were you really watching it? Or were you popping in and out while doing something else?

I suspect he was popping in and out of his own fist, mainly

Were the goals as bad as the min-by-min Guardian thing made them sound?

Seemed to reinforce my prejudices - decent technically but utterly shambolic at the back and in goal.