Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hehe Some top art ****er self-parody here

And there was me thinking you'd have liked it, j. How very surprising that you didn't. Indifferent

Your comment is remarkably obtuse, if I may say so. The object of the poppies was almost exactly the opposite of metaphor. It was to offer a moving and visual idea of the reality of a number - an artistic counterblast, if you will, to Stalin's vilely cynical 'A million dead is a statistic'.

If it's a visualisation doesnt it have to be a metaphor?

There are also a bundle of other possible interpretations, all of which seem to have been entirely discounted in favour of the obvious and pretty trite one.

God yes, don't you just find 8,000,000 deaths on the western front so trite, darling?

These chaps are sooo obvious.

Are we supposed to be reading the article or admiring your comment?

No, it was more the way it was represented

Not really, since the poppy is such an ingrained part of culture that it has moved beyond metaphor

into an idiomatic shorthand. Everyone knows without even thinking what the poppy means, so nobody's having to make the imaginative leap that is inherent to metaphor anymore.

And it is perhaps trite to demonstrate that hundreds of thousands of dead people is a f**k of a lot of dead people, but that doesn't lessen the impact of its demonstration, does it? You might as well say that the symbolism of throwing dirt onto the coffin of a loved one is 'trite'. It is, but it nonetheless remains real, profound and affecting.

I'm really not so sure it has, and even if it has it's still a very trite device to use

I thought he was making a clever Shining-esque point to do with blood spewing forth from the home of the crown jewels for a moment, then I realised he wasnt and it's essentially just another piece of pulp public art.

Dont get me started on the whole burial business either

Reading the article. My comment - such as it is - is barely even on the same page anymore, is it?

Besides, I was under the impression that only a couple of people knew what my username was on there.

It's trite only because it's so well known that everyone understands the symbol and thus it is

accessible to all while remaining visually stimulating and thought-provoking.

Sounds like exactly what good public art should be to me.

"good public art" Now there's an oxymoron