Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I must say I am enjoying watching the Guardian squirming after Trevor Phillips doc. They badly want

I must say I am enjoying watching the Guardian squirming after Trevor Phillips doc. They badly want

to denounce him but he's black so they can't. Joseph Harker has denounced him but he can because, well, he [Harker] is black.

I suspect the phrase being bandied around the dinner tables of Islington tonight will be 'Uncle Tom'.

I mentioned the phrase 'Uncle Tom' on the comments section earlier. It got modded instantly. hehe

Harker, bless him, wrote the timeless article 'Of course all white people are racist' in which he argued that he couldn't be racist because he was black. So that sort of tells you where he's coming from.

hehe what did you expect?

Of course all white people are racist, the clue is in the people bit. People are racist

Well I agree. And if he'd said that, I wouldn't object.

It's really the 'I'm black so I can't be racist' bit that bothered me. As if racism were just about power structures rather than a fundamental facet of human nature.

indians and chinks are probably the most racist..or wracist imo

She should pop down to the local Jerk chicken place and ask a Bajan about Jamaicans then

Or, for that matter, ask someone from Africa what they think about Caribbean people.

The idea black people can't be racist as they are ethnic. This is the bull**** I don't agree with, safe to say.

Glossing entirely over the fact that it is, in itself, a racist thing to say, of course.

Indeed. I don't even know what "jerk chicken" is.

I was once drwan into a heated debate between a white and black person about just that. The white

man, a reasonable fella but a bit 'Daily Express' was castigating the black fella for saying black people could not be classed as racist. I was younger, leftier, more idealistic and in tune with the mores of the day and naturally jumped to the defence of the black man.

Racism, I patiently explained to white man, was intrinsically about advantage. Simply disliking someone without essentially oppressing them might be unpleasant, but it wasn't racist until political, social or financial advantage was being sought.

I think I meant that it was perfectly acceptable for black man to despise white man because of the historical vileness visited by white on black. I regard all of this now, of course, as total *******s.

It's like Jerk Pork, but with chicken. Thumb Up

Soul Food, man. I grew up on that ****.