Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On a completely different subject, any car insurance experts here?

On a completely different subject, any car insurance experts here?

I have just been made aware that my car isn’t cost justified in repairing it following my accident this week as the impact on the rear of the car has also badly damaged other parts of the car including suspension, rear doors, electrics and mechanics. I had a call from the garage but not from the insurance company yet, although he said his decision wasn’t the final, the insurance company would make the final decision in the next 48 hours.

I have never dealt with car insurers before so would I be right in assuming they will offer a value in what they believe is the current price for that model and year? Does the car specification make any difference in its final value i.e. options such as fitted satnav, rear view camera etc. add to the value?

If I feel their valuation is too low can I appeal or would I be wasting my time?

I have a feeling I’ll get stitched up for something that wasn’t my fault at all and end up financially worse off, any help would be really appreciated.

My friend appealed (he's a car geek) and they increased the amount they paid up

That is a positive start, Thank You!

They will make you an offer based on their valuation, it is up to you to prove

it is too low (auto trader etc), same thing happened when I had a BMW written off.

Not sure on extra's, if they are removable then ask for them.. if not they are added extras and you should have included them when the car was insured.

Final point, it is likely that the car will then be sold and will be back on the road in a few weeks... keep all records of phone calls etc as my old car was caught speeding and I got the ticket, took a while to prove I didn't own it any more

always go for right off not rebuild and go on parkers and pay bit extra to get full valauation of yo

as i said..always appeal and mention ombudsman and hae info from parkers and glass

they will pay

You will have to show that you can't buy the same model for that amount though

Some valuable points there, I am keeping a full written record of everything since the accident

discussions with anyone relevant (other driver, witness, insurance ... etc.)

emails, phonecalls etc.

Unfortunately I didn't realise that I had to make my insurance company aware of fitted parts such as camera, Satnav etc. :baghead:

IF it gets written off, explain to the garage/insurance company

that you would like these back if possible... you might be lucky