Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Boyhood is two and three quarter hours I'll never get back. Yawn

Unfortunately, the fact that people are prepared to tolerate such lax definitions of

drama because they think it makes them cleverer and better than other people is why so many godawful, overlong films with no plot and pisspoor scripts get made these days. There's no respect for the discipline of good craft these days. Everyone prefers to **** on about 'art' as though that were in some way better. Idiots.

I watched Nightcrawler which was quite good.

"godawful, overlong films with no plot" have been always been around. Think of Jim Jarmusch.

Unfortunately for you, the film world's "lax" definitions of plot, story, drama or whatever you want to name clearly don't adhere to your more linear definitions and structures.

I fear you were born in the wrong generation b. By several generations.

hehe I love the idea that you think of Jim Jarmusch as an old-timey director.

Actually, the rise in genuinely terrible, undisciplined and ultimately self-indulgent crap films started with the idea of the auteur (when in doubt, blame the French) and got infinitely worse in the states in the 70s as the studios lost their iron grip on directors and the tedious c**ts started being allowed the freedom to bore the arses off everyone without a studio boss quite rightly telling them to cut it by an hour.

Of course, this period created some great movies, but it also created this awful and damaging idea of the director as artist, which has served to punish cinemagoers ever since.

I was just using him as an obvious sub-mainstream example tbh.

Look b, you know your definitions of entertainment in film are absolute rubbish. Accept it.

No they're not. You've just been brainwashed by decades of film criticism into accepting boredom as

somehow morally edifying. It's not. It's just bad film making.

But I'm not bored. I don't find it boring. Regardless of criticism.

Don't hate me because I'm able to find entertainment where the layman can only find the mundane.

hehe And there we have the real reason you 'enjoy' these films - because you're too scared to

admit you don't for fear of being thought stupid. We all go through this stage, j, don't worry. You grow out of it and realise life's too f**king short.

Don't bite that easily now.

I just find it hard to see how you can be so objective about this and bracket so many films under your bizarre definitions. I hate Clerks but I love Slacker. Gummo is **** but Withnail & I is great. It's nothing to do with intellectual pretensions. It's whether the film's entertainment value is entertaining to you.