Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad news about plain cigarette packs. I remember when fag ads were the very acme of sophistication

Sad news about plain cigarette packs. I remember when fag ads were the very acme of sophistication

Even your Rothman's ads had a certain charm.

Anyway, fags aren't bad for you, really. Are they? This doctor seems quite in favour of them.

How f**king big are those cigarettes? The packet's almost the size of his head.

Generally speaking, though, the better the cigarette ads, the nastier the cigarettes. Benson & Hedges and Silk Cut had the best ads, but were horrible. Whereas Marlboro and Camel (my weapons of choice) had ads that looked like nobody could be really bothered putting in an effort.

I can't find a pic that I have a vivid image of a cigarette advert from the 60s/70s.

In my memory the shot if the interior of an E-Type. We see a Dunhill pack and hand on the gear lever holding a lit fag. The sleeve from which the hand protrudes have 4 gold bars so we know he's a pilot.

I wonder if this ad actually existed, or whether I made it up from a collection of images?

Is that not essentially your mental wallpaper, though? hehe

Certainly it is, but my recollection of the image as an ad is remarkably clear.

Dunhill managed to pull off that posh brand thing purely by virtue of having a shiny packet and some

nice typography, didn't they? As cigarettes, they were nothing special and - as I recall - weren't a great deal more expensive than other fags.

Yeah, the Silk Cut ads were the daddy but the fags were like sucking on a McDonadls straw

Actually, the best fag/creative combo was undoubtedly JPS. You can't go wrong with all black when you're looking to recruit teenagers to the cause.

Sadly Marlboro's baby based campaigns never got the traction their homoerotic cowboy ones achieved.

They also branded all sorts of other random tat like pens, glasses and driving gloves

Yes. And decent lighters. Amazing that nobody else thought that maybe branded lighters would be a

good idea when selling cigarettes, really.

Erm, Alfred Dunhill was (and is) a purveyor of luxury goods to the discerning gentleman.

He happened to invent a pipe for motorists, which led him into the tobacco market. I commend the Jermyn St store to you for essentials such as cuff links, suspenders and braces, as well as cashmere - although their cashmere socks can in no way be compared with the offering at Turnbull & Asser, naturally.