Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm working with some indian chaps at the moment

Since he had about as much control over partition as I have over the global oil price, I hardly

think that is a fair criticism.

He had both sides pushing hard for immediate partition (and slaughtering each other whenever they got the chance), the Attlee government demanding we withdraw and the yanks threatening to call in our debts if we weren't out sharpish. It would have been a near-impossible balance for a diplomat of genius, but for a slightly dim aristo like Mountbatten (whose wife was also getting shafted by notable piss-drinker Nehru), it was a complete non-starter.

Who oversaw the redrawing of the map?

Here's a crazy suggestion, maybe we could've put someone qualified (by anything other than blood) in charge.

Also, you seem to be blaming the americans here. Surely they, along with the british upper classes, are immune from any criticism.

You'll be blaming Thatcher next

(2-2, C)

As I said, you could have put anyone in charge and the result would have been the same.

That's just how the tide of history was going, basically. Mountbatten was helpless.

It suits the left to blame him because
    a/he was posh
    b/he was English
    c/ blaming the Indians for murdering each other in millions would be unthinkable for the left because they're just ignorant savages who can't be expected to think for, control, or take responsibility for themselves, can they?

Honestly, the sheer level of neo-colonial condescension inherent in your reflexive blaming of the British would be funny if it weren't so spectacularly racist. You are essentially saying that it was our job as colonial masters to take care of the Indians because they were too helpless, backwards and stupid to do it for themselves. In other words, you're essentially endorsing the imperial world view.

Oh, the irony.

That's one reading of it, though it'd be the wrong one

As I said, it's pretty much an accepted fact he was incompetent. Obviously he only got the job because of who he is, rather than any sort of meritocratic qualification.

Clearly he wasn't helped by the fact he was under pressure from all sides and being cuckolded to boot but to say that the map was arbitrarily drawn would be an understatement, and his slapdash actions have had repercussions right up to the present day.

Also, I wasn't specifically blaming him for the internecine fighting but for the migration the bodged redrawing necessitated, which resulted in hundreds of thousands dying on the road from malnutrition, disease and exhaustion.

Do you not think, as the rulers at the time, there was not a duty of care there? Honestly, your refusal to ever accept that the upper class could be in any way would be funny if it wasn't so scary.

I don't think he was particularly competent, but as I say, I don't think Jesus Christ could have

saved the Indians from themselves at that point. There was no time allowed for the proper drawing of the map. The British wanted out ASAP. The Indians on all sides wanted the British out immediately and the Americans wanted the British out immediately. In those circumstances - and when every single option available is likely to have bloody and horrible consequences - I'd defy anyone to get it 'right'.

I hold absolutely no brief for Mountbatten or the English upper classes, btw. I just object to people making convenient historical scapegoats when it suits their prejudices and political purposes rather than acknowledge the genuine impossibility of the situation.