Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Wenger speaks for the fans, claiming to be 'very disappointed' with 'naive' Arsenal

Wenger speaks for the fans, claiming to be 'very disappointed' with 'naive' Arsenal

'Naive' – that's got to be one of the best descriptions for the team (and manager) over the last nine seasons.

I never understood why Wenger abandoned his original 'Wengerball', playing with pace, power, tactical discipline and skill.

He kept skill and pace (well, Walcott in terms of pace), but abandoned power and tactical discipline.

While everyone else, United, City and Chelsea, have been aspiring to a version of Wenger's original power play, Wenger has stumbled through a lost decade tinkering with some third-rate imitation of Barcelona.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave the club by mutual consent by the end of January.

Why did he forsake pace and power for the tippy tappy crap?

We don't play in La Liga.

We've seen that collapse so many times before. When Di Maria was in on goal (inside his own half)

I was getting flashbacks of the game when Evra went storming through from deep. Clichy just watching and Denilson getting overtaken by the ref Wasn't that about 5 years ago? Even Wenger must be getting bored of this **** now. Why sign on for another 3 years, just to keep overseeing exactly the same problems?

Wenger has not changed one bit in the last 15 years....

his management philosophy is exactly the same as it always was.

He has never worked on tactics. He has never told players what to do or where to be or how to do it. He has always been a man who lets his players manage themselves. It is a management technique that a lot of businesses are using for their staff. Encouraging people to see their own place and to take accountability for themselves.

If you have the right players, you get teams like the invincibles. If not, you get teams like we have had over the past few seasons. The problem with this almost utopian management technique is that it only take a couple of people to not be on board or not be able to grasp the principles and the whole things falls apart very quickly.

The reality is that the manager has to change his style, his players or his employment status. That has been my question over the last 6 years.

I think there's a lot of truth in that, but...

what is arguably most frustrating about Wenger is that he seems so slow to recognise any kind of weaknesses or failings in his players. His persistence with the some of the players over the years has been staggering.

He has though actually made tactical changes, switchting from a rigid 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 when he arrived. He has also switched from two central defensive midfielders to virtually none unless we can't attacking midfielders being asked to play a deeper role.

His approach is not for him to recognise our weaknesses, it is for the players to do so and fix them

themselves.

The whole point of this technique is to be there to encourage players when they do not do it right. To continue to encourage in the hope that the penny does drop. There is no time limit from manager's point of view. It is down to the player to work it out or throw the towel in.